Chai Tea Anyone?

Sharing our recipes... all the wonderful recipes made with our produce or not.
Heidi

Chai Tea Anyone?

Postby Heidi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi,
Does anyone make their own chai tea? I think I might like to do so, and there are too many recipes to choose from on the internet. I was wondering if someone had their own mix that they have tried and testing and not found wanting?
Thanks
Heidi

Shadowgirlau

Re: Chai Tea Anyone?

Postby Shadowgirlau » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:50 pm

I do have a recipe for Chai Tea. Will have to go and seek it out though so watch this space.

Okay here goes.

1 Tbsp ground nutmeg
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp ground cardamom
1 Tbsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 Tbsp dried basil (optional)
If you are using whole spices rather than the ground powdered spices then grind these in a coffee bean grinder before mixing them. I tend to use already ground spices.
To this I add –
1 cup non fat dry milk powder
1 cup powdered non dairy creamer
1 cup French vanilla flavoured powdered non dairy creamer
2 cups white sugar (amount of sugar you use is really optional and to your own taste)
1 ½ cups instant unsweetened tea

In a large bowl, combine milk powder, non-dairy creamer, vanilla flavored creamer, sugar and instant tea. Stir in ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. In a blender or food processor, blend 1 cup at a time, until mixture is the consistency of fine powder.
To serve: Stir 2 heaping tablespoons Chai tea mixture into a mug of hot water or my preference and the more traditional method, use hot milk.

If you can’t find the non dairy French vanilla creamer (which I often can’t) no problems, leave it out and add 2 tsp of vanilla extract instead. I usually pour the vanilla extract over the sugar and let it dry. It will form small clumps but these dissipate when you blend everything up in the grinder anyway.
This is the mix that I prefer because I find it nice and spicy although it really is forgiving so have a play with the spices, leave in what you like and take out what you don’t substituting it for something else more to your taste. It took me quite some time to mix this up for a family member as a gift basket addition.
I drink mine using peppermint tea and there is another caffeine free black tea that you can buy from the health food shop which I haven't been able to find for awhile here (when I get up to the city sometime I will have to look for it

Another mix that I make up for my friend and which isn't as strong -

2 cups sugar
2cups unsweetened instant tea
1-1/2 cups powdered French vanilla non-dairy creamer
1-1/4 cups powdered non-dairy creamer
1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
3/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
2-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1-1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1-1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. white pepper
Again if you don't have all the spices, then use what you have. If you are looking for an authentic Chai tea however, don't leave any of them out. Mix all ingredients together and store in an air tight container. If desired, you can place small batches of the mix into the blender to create more of a powder like consistency although this step is not really but a personal preference necessary.

To prepare, add 3 tsp. mix (or to taste) to 1 cup hot water or 1 cup hot milk. I have tried it both with water and milk, and it is just to die for. Seriously, really good! It is of course better with milk (whole or skim), but if you are looking for a lower calorie version, then make it with water instead.

This recipe makes 8 cups of Chai tea mix.

Enjoy
Kathleen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Return to “Recipe sharing at the Kitchen Bench”