Deregulated GM - drought resistant corn

Articles written by members, about a myriad of things, some are also on our main website http://www.preserving-australia.com.au All articles are copyright the authors, posters.
Shadowgirlau

Deregulated GM - drought resistant corn

Postby Shadowgirlau » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:07 am

(Reuters) - Monsanto's genetically engineered, drought resistant corn is
deregulated, the U.S. Agriculture Department said Thursday, clearing the
variety for sale.

full article:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/ ... 9A20111222

excerpts only:

The drought-tolerant trait was part of a collaboration with the German chemical company BASF

Monsanto said it planned farm trials in the western U.S. Plains in 2012 to demonstrate the variety for growers and to generate data that will help guide Monsanto's commercial decisions.

Only a matter of time till our farmers over here get approval to hold trials on this corn under our conditions (same as they did with Canola) Then we will see the introduction of yet another GM into our own food chain. Not that our crops wont be infected by it due to wind currents in any case, eventually. Being grown in another country or on another continent doesn't mean we are immune to these things.

Am so glad that we are slowly building up a seed bank of our own, with the heritage produce that the grow ourselves. Mind you with all the GM stuff that will eventually be grown in our own country I see our heritage crops eventually being contaminated. I do grow most of my vegetables under nets although DH will continually take the nets off for fertilizing or weeding and then forget to cover the beds again until a couple of hours later he will see a bed open and off he goes to close it. Could be too late of course.

Kathleen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Return to “Articles”