Dehydrator Starter models?

All things preserving - canning, water bath (vacola), freezing, drying your harvest. We discuss all methods and the pros and cons, be nice to each other, please we all have our ways of preserving.
brookchook

Dehydrator Starter models?

Postby brookchook » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:37 am

Hi everyone

Can anyone suggest a reasonable starter model fro a dehydrator? (or which ones to avoid?)

I don't really want to spend alot as I am not sure how much it will get used (and one of the concerns I have is the cost of electricity to run one). My kids are not big fans of store bought dried fruit, but love store bought roll-ups, and I would like to try billtong/jerky and potatoes (to be made into mash later) and maybe tomatoes if they could be used for cooking later in stews/spag bol etc (as opposed to eating as sun dried tomatoes which we don't like). I would use it for dehydrating herbs are well.

Thanks!

Michelle

Heidi

Re: Dehydrator Starter models?

Postby Heidi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:11 pm

Hi,
There's a discount shop in Grafton NSW (its like the newer version of CopperArt...they sell mid price range stuff)...anyway, they have had dehydrators recently (on more than one occasion) for $35! These ones even have the different temperature settings so they can do low temp herbs etc, and higher temp jerky. I bought the you beaut "ezi dry snack maker" (I think) but really, I would've gone with this "cheaper" model myself it had been around when I was looking! My friend also bought a similarly priced one from Aldi, and she is equally as pleased with it, for her it suits her purposes.

I'll post the name (and PM it to you) when I go past the shop soon.

Regards,
Heidi

Return to “Preserving and Canning in Australia”