Cherry Jam

All things preserving - canning, water bath (vacola), freezing, drying your harvest. We discuss all methods and the pros and cons, be nice to each other, please we all have our ways of preserving.
Shadowgirlau

Cherry Jam

Postby Shadowgirlau » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Have been busy in the kitchen and with the last of the cherries have made some lovely cherry jam. I had hoped to make cherry pie filling as well however did not harvest more than 1/2 dozen of my own cherries which meant I had to buy a couple of kilos. '

I do love cherries.

Kathleen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Mojojo

Re: Cherry Jam

Postby Mojojo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:49 am

How does your cherry jam go Kathleen? This is one jam I seem to have trouble with. I made another batch this year. Last years turned to toffee in the blink of an eye. This years did not, but I kept testing for set, and it kept on seeming like it would not set. Then the consistency changed and it started to look like it was threatening to be toffee again, so I bottled it anyway, even though it was still failing the saucer test. Its set alright. Like rubber. And sooo sweet, even though I only use 600 gms of sugar per kilo of fruit.
~ Jo
~ Robert Frost

Shadowgirlau

Postby Shadowgirlau » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi Jo,
My cherry jam set nicely and I am very pleased with it. I've found that when making cherry jam it is better to bring it to a rolling boil, check the temperature has reached 220 and then boil it for up to 5 minutes (depending on batch size) then take it off the boil and bottle it even if as you found it failed the set test. Mine usually sets up nicely if I do this but if I wait till it reaches the set test then I find it is to much and as you found turns to a toffee consistency.

Saying this I have in the past found that the cherry jam has not set and remains runny in which case it becomes a lovely ice cream sundae sauce.

Kathleen
- John Lennon

Mojojo

Postby Mojojo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:31 pm

thanks for that, will try it next time!

(I like this forum!)
~ Jo
~ Robert Frost

Shadowgirlau

Postby Shadowgirlau » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Your Welcome Jo,
As an aside I was thinking about your issue with the cherry jam and a couple of things came to mind such as - do you add any lemon juice to your cherries when making the jam? There are a number of circumstances that affect whether or how well your jam sets. If your jam does not set, chances are it contains too little pectin. It’s also possible there is an imbalance between the pectin and the acid in your jam. Adding a little lemon juice helps the pectin, and also helps create an environment hostile to bacteria. High humidity in the kitchen can cause problems with jam. Finally, you can defeat the whole purpose of adding pectin if you boil the mixture too long — overcooking causes the pectin to break down and lose its thickening capacity. Your choice then if you find the jam has nt set after a few days is to either add more lemon juice and possibly a little more sugar (I myself don't generally do this as I try to keep sugar to a reduced amount) then reboil and process again etc or turn it into sauce, even leave it as it is and then use it for the base of a pie thickening it with cornflour.

Adding whole blueberries to the now cherry sauce and pouring this over a nice vanilla sponge makes a lovely decadent desert in winter.

Have you tried mulled wine cherry sauce? I have a recipe for this on its own however I also turned a pint sized jar of unset cherry jam into this sauce to use on roast pork and turkey for a Christmas in July one year. Yum.

Good luck
Kathleen
- John Lennon

Mojojo

Postby Mojojo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:19 pm

I didn't add any this time - but I have the 'sets too much' issue. I'll try and go for the temp probe approach nect time I think, or just trust that it will set and jar it up even though its runnyish
~ Jo
~ Robert Frost

Return to “Preserving and Canning in Australia”