dehydrating

All things preserving - canning, water bath (vacola), freezing, drying your harvest. We discuss all methods and the pros and cons, be nice to each other, please we all have our ways of preserving.
mowgli

dehydrating

Postby mowgli » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:52 pm

An interesting website I recently found is http://www.dehydrate2store.com. It has some interesting tips on dehydrating and preserving.
Oxygen packs- ever heard of them. They are used to remove Oxygen from a storage vessel Similar to a silica gel packet, see website https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emer ... orbers.htm

Shadowgirlau

Re: dehydrating

Postby Shadowgirlau » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:06 am

Yes I have heard of them. Also know a couple of people who use them with great affect. I used to dehydrate a lot of different vegetables. Tomatoes for example, dehydrate them (Roma are best) and then powder them. I used to add a table spoon or so to any soups or stews I was cooking for a lovely rich tomato flavour. Bananas are great dehydrated and made into chips as are a number of other vegetables. When the kids were younger and at school I often sent along banana and apple chips which they devoured. Could often not keep up with the supply. At least I knew they were eating healthily.

Kathleen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Heidi

Postby Heidi » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:21 am

Hi,
Haven't posted for what seems like ages! Just recently, I dehydrated ALOT of pears sprinkled with cinnamon, and then pureed some more pears and making them into roll ups. Getting back into the swing of it!
H

Shadowgirlau

Postby Shadowgirlau » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Way to go Heidi, hope your roll ups have turned out great. My kids used to love them in their lunch boxes years back.

Thee are so many things that one can do when dehydrating food.

Kathleen
- John Lennon

Heidi

Postby Heidi » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi,
I'm sitting here procrastinating.... and looking at close to 40kg of fruit, granny smith apples and pears. Well, they were 99c a kg so what was I mean to do? Not buy them? :roll:

I have an ezidry snackmaker dehydrator, and have long wanted an extra five racks for it so I could dry five racks at a time, because I buy in such silly quantities. Well, on Monday I had the extreme good fortune of finding a complete ezidry snackmaker at the opshop for $30! But wait there's more....

I have been asking around at my work if anyone would be interested in buying dehydrated apples or pears that were preservative free and vacuum packed. I had a pretty good indication that they would be interested in buying them if i could do them cheaper than in the shop, and if I could package them in weekly serving size bags.

So...hence the insane quantity. I figure if they don't sell, we will just go through them at our normal blinding rate.

Now...I just need to do it, thankfully, its raining there's nothing else to do outside and school holidays are coming up. I can see a production line forming! :D

Wish me luck!
H

Shadowgirlau

Postby Shadowgirlau » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:54 pm

Good luck with this project Heidi. Sounds like you will have a busy time over it over the holidays.

Cheers
Kathleen
- John Lennon

Return to “Preserving and Canning in Australia”