What to plant now/temperate gardens

Get down and dirty growing your food...
Shadowgirlau

What to plant now/temperate gardens

Postby Shadowgirlau » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:32 am

As the days creep ever closer towards spring I can't help myself and begin to think about chores or things I should do in my garden from now on. For those of us who live in temperate climate zones it is now time to think about planting Rhubarb, Jerusalem Artichoke tubers and Asparagus crowns

I love Jerusalem Artichokes but up until now haven't actually planted any of these tubers in my own garden. At a recent trip up to the city I was able to source a few tubers for these. I do have a few rhubarb crowns (variety unknown) although as yet no asparagus either which will be rectified this year too. If you have access to the above now is the time to plant them out.

If you haven't already, prepare your beds, remember rhubarb is a heavy feeder so make sure you incorporate lots of compost mixed with various manures into the bed prior to planting. To help with transplant shock or just with planting something new out I tend to soak my plants including tubers/crowns into a solution of seasol or any other seaweed mix with water which hydrates the plants and gives them a jump start! Once I've finished planting them out I then use the soaking liquid to help water them in situ.

I have already pruned my deciduous trees (did it in July) but if you haven't done this and think they need some pruning there is still time to do so. Some deciduous trees are already flowering (I think I mentioned this somewhere else on the board) so if you need to do this, do it now. Remember the aim when pruning your fruit trees is to allow more light into the centre of the tree and better airflow to while also keeping the trees more manageable when it comes to picking time. I generally take out any branches that are crossing over another as this stops the branches from rubbing against each other when loaded with fruit. Raining or not I will be going out to the orchard today to spread around some rock dust and fertilizer with some dynamic lifter and blood & bone, as now is a good time to feed them too. If you have citrus trees now is also a good time to go have a look at them to inspect what ever fruit you have on them and at the same tiome see that they don't have any unwanted pests on them either. If they have been sufferring from scale then treat them with pest oil (whiter oil) to remove them. If your wanting new fruit trees, prepare the area you plan to plant them in now as this is also the best time to plant out new fruit trees.

When visiting the nursery last week I noticed they had their new seasons fruit trees instock and being early there should be a good selection of these around at the moment so a good likely6hood you will find what your looking for. Don't leave it too much longer though or the trees will struggle to establish before the weather warms up, planting now gives them a chance to settle in and get a head start. They will need a little extra attention their first summer.

I have been watching for any aphids as I have a few plants around in the garden which seem to attract these. The first sign of aphids I get out the white oil or sometimes will make a garlic and soap spray which is just as effective. Aphids will often attach plants that are in the shade (something I don't have a lot of at the moment) though do have a taste for certain plants just the same, particularly the wooly aphids.

Another arduous chore to do during winter is to keep on top of the weeds. (something I struggle with at times myself) I am making a concerted effort to get them all out. Act NOW to remove them before they set seed in the spring and you'll have less weeding to do next year! (Well, at least that's the theory) though in truth no matter how much I weed they seem to just keep coming. Many pests and disease can transfer from weeds to your garden plants, so it is definitely worth keeping your veggie and favourite plants weed free. Add weeds to your compost pile or make a weed tea and return their nutrients to your soil in Spring.

It is still a bit early for planting anything out but there is still time to start your own seeds. There is also still time to plan out your veggie and herb garden for this year.

Happy Planning & Planting
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

northwest1

Re: What to plant now/temperate gardens

Postby northwest1 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Hi, I just read your August post and thought I'd add my two cents' worth! I'm now looking at a front yard full of weeds - I did try the spray-on weed killer, but it hasn't worked on everything so I will be out there (when it cools down this afternoon) with my gloves and bag and weedstick, digging them out by hand :( oh well... on the bright side, the veggie garden is looking great!! We've been eating snow peas, beetroot, broad beans, snap peas, potatoes(!!), lettuce, kale and shallots! The tomato plants have a few flowers and the garlic is starting to dry up a little - yay! We've been picking strawberries, and the blueberry bush is laden with still-green berries and (if I can get to them before the birds) we'll be eating them pretty soon! Parsley, coriander, rosemary and dill are going strong, and my rhubarb and horseradish plants are growing well! It makes me happy to look around and see everything growing (except for the weeds that is) and knowing that what we are eating is the freshest it can be!

Return to “Aussie Gardening - Growing your own food”