Tomato replacement?

Sharing our recipes... all the wonderful recipes made with our produce or not.
Hayhay

Tomato replacement?

Postby Hayhay » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:43 pm

I've been getting some reflux lately and seeing as I didn't get to preserve many tomatoes this year I can see that its mostly related to when i cook a dish with tomatoes......being sparse on tomatoes anyway I've already adapted alot of favourite dishes (like pasta sauce to a butter or baked pumpkin sauce for example) but for dishes like baked beans (acutal ones not shop ones!) and casseroles - are there any ideas of what I could use instead?

(The boys are currently LOVING baked beans and tempeh)

Shadowgirlau

Re: Tomato replacement?

Postby Shadowgirlau » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:32 pm

Was rather hoping someone might have come forward with some ideas as what would be a good substitute for tomatoes but alas not a one :? I have heard of substituting eggplant or purreed red capsicums although these will not substitute so well in dishes like baked beans sadly.

I can only surmise that there isn't really anything that will substitute tomatoes however there are some good recipes out there that don't use tomatoes at all.

Just a thought but do you have the same reaction to tomatilloes?
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Shadowgirlau

Postby Shadowgirlau » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:10 pm

Actually I was just reading through my recipes looking for my list of itmes to put up this winter. I have taken one of the roosters out of the freezer and plan on making chicken stock this weekend at the same time as I make the items planned for the family birthday bash next week. While doing so I came across this recipe for Boston Baked beans which was given to me some time back (as in a few years ago). Sorry but I can not remember who gave it to me and so am unable to give credit where credit is due. it has no tomatoes in it and although nice was not put on my must do again list. Mainly because I am not a fan of molasses. Will post it over on the recipe board in the kitchen for those interested.

Kathleen
- John Lennon

Hayhay

Postby Hayhay » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:20 pm

I saw there was a reply and got excited someone had an answer!!!

Thanks Kathleen....nope molasses doesn't do it for me! I wonder if a whole lot of honey with....hmmm....maybe some capsicum and stock???

Never tried tomatillos, see if I can find some.

Shadowgirlau

Postby Shadowgirlau » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Not surprised really about the molasses as although the Boston Baked Beans were okay I wasn't particularly taken with them. We ate what I had made but I am not in a hurry to repeat the exercise myself.
I make my baked beans with maple syrup and really like the taste but I do add tomatoes so not what your looking for, sorry.

Kathleen
- John Lennon

Return to “Recipe sharing at the Kitchen Bench”