Not cooking but ...

Sharing our recipes... all the wonderful recipes made with our produce or not.
Shadowgirlau

Not cooking but ...

Postby Shadowgirlau » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:21 am

Hi,
When I woke up this morning my hair was 'shocking' it feels so dry and brittle that I decided it needs a deep conditioning treatment. Having one of those 'seniors' moments I went looking for my recipe note book for something to use that I have on hand to use for my deep condition. I much prefer to use natural treatments as personally I feel we use too many chemical laden things not only on our bodies but in our foods (hence I eat what I grow or produce) as much as I can anyway.
So with out further ado -
Why are Scalp Treatments Important?

Here are just a few reasons that a scalp treatment should be a part of your regular beauty routine:
• Removes product build up (even shampoo and conditioner build up)
• Relieves dry, flaky, tight skin from winter months
• Treats dandruff
• Stimulates the scalp to speed up hair growth
On a more serious note: many scalp related problems including hair loss and slow hair growth (both of which have been my lot since I had radiation therapy) are caused by a hardened build-up of sebum that clogs the hair follicles. Over time this build up may cause some types of scaling, and if not removed may eventually obstruct the hair follicle’s ability to function properly. Have I convinced you yet? Okay, so let’s talk about the how. While you can give yourself a scalp treatment, if you have a willing friend or family member to swap with you, it makes the process better because (‘It always feels better when someone else washes your hair’), right? But if you can’t wait for a taker, do it yourself as it will still feel fabulous. Thank goodness for my DD.

My all time favorite recipe: Take about 4 tablespoons softened coconut oil(I also love Jojoba oil) and mix with 2-4 (depending on sensitivity) drops tea tree oil, and 3-4 drops of rosemary oil. This is dreamy concoction. If you don't have any rosemary or tea tree oil? Then mix 4 tablespoons coconut oil with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon grapefruit juice. Works just as well. You can do a little research and find all sorts of recipes and concoctions for scalp treatments, these are just my favorite. Rosemary and tea tree oil are both great for treating dry flaky scalps, and stimulating the hair follicle for hair growth, among other things. You can also adjust the amounts, but keep in mind that tea tree oil can be irritating if you use too much, so be cautious with these.

Want a Strand-Strengthening Smoothie, got a little hair damage?
Grab a banana, this fruit is rich in potassium which strengthens and repairs hair. It's especially good for fine hair, since this mask won't weigh it down like a rich conditioner does. Yes while a bananas are excellent for deep conditioning your hair so is an avocado.
Ingredients:
1 small ripe banana
1 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. sweet almond oil
Mash the ripe banana in small bowl and mix in honey and almond oil. Rub banana mixture into hair and wrap hair in a warm damp towel. Leave on hair at least 15 minutes and then rinse as usual.
If using the avocado –
1-2 cups ‘real’ mayonnaise (made using olive oil and eggs)
1 small avocado
Peel and cut up avocado and place in a small bowl. Mash with a potato masher and stir in mayonnaise until smooth.
Rub avocado mixture into hair and wrap hair in a warm damp towel. Leave on hair for 20 minutes and then rinse.
Note: Use this conditioner right after you make it, it does not store well.

Got plenty of pumpkins?
Pumpkin is rich in vitamin A, C, beta-carotene, potassium, and zinc -- all essential for a healthy scalp and hair growth. Mix one cup of pumpkin puree with one to two tablespoons of honey, natural humectant. Apply it to hair and scalp and wrap in either glad wrap or cover with a shower cap for at least 15 minutes before rinsing. Wash as usual.

Scalp Saver (a good friend swears by this recipe)
Want healthy hair? It starts with a healthy scalp, so tackle dandruff, dryness, and other scalp issues with this treatment.
Ingredients:
4 Tbsp of coconut oil
2 Tbsp of lemon juice
1 Tbsp of grapefruit juice
Directions: Mix the ingredients together. Using a scalp treatment brush (find it at a beauty supply store), apply treatment to scalp skin. Rotate the brush across your scalp, gently pressing down to stimulate circulation. Next, part your hair down the center and apply mixture with the brush or a cotton ball. Repeat, working in one-inch sections until your entire scalp is covered. Finish with an all-over scalp massage, using your fingers. Let the treatment sit for 20 minutes then shampoo and condition as usual.
Do you colour your hair? well to 'Boost faded color': Tea treatments really work. If you’re blonde, opt for chamomile, and if you’re brunette, go with black tea. Steep four tea bags in one 4 litres boiling water for five minutes and let it cool before pouring it onto damp hair. Allow the tea to sit for about 10 minutes and rinse.
Is your hair dry? well if it is -
Add moisture:
Blend half of an avocado with two tablespoons of olive oil and apply the mixture to damp hair. Leave it on for 20 minutes, then shampoo and condition as normal.
Of all the at home diy treatments you can do, a scalp treatment has to be one of the easiest – and seriously one of the best. They feel amazing, get rid of flakes, and promote fast and healthy hair growth. So before we talk about the how, let’s talk about the why.

Why Scalp Treatments Are Important
Here are just a few reasons that a scalp treatment should be a part of your regular beauty routine:
• Removes product build up (even shampoo and conditioner build up)
• Relieves dry, flaky, tight skin from winter months
• Treats dandruff
• Stimulates the scalp to speed up hair growth
On a more serious note: many scalp related problems including hair loss and slow hair growth are caused by a hardened build-up of sebum that clogs the hair follicles. Over time this build up may cause some types of scaling, and if not removed may eventually obstruct the hair follicle’s ability to function properly.
Have I convinced you yet? Okay, so let’s talk about the how. While you can give yourself a scalp treatment, if you have a willing friend or family member to swap with you, it makes the process better because ‘It always feels better when someone else washes your hair’, right? But if you can’t wait for a taker, do it yourself as it will still feel fabulous. This brings us to the -
Application:
You’ll start on dry hair, and it really makes no difference if it is clean or not. Starting on top, place the brush on the scalp, rotate it across the scalp while pressing down and pull off in the end. Repeat across the scalp, parting hair where necessary. This will stimulate the blood circulation and loosen any dry skin scales. This should feel good, don’t press so hard that it hurts.
Next part the hair down the center and apply the oil mixture to the scalp with the application brush or cotton ball. Work in one inch sections down the sides of the head, then the back making sure the mixture covers the entire scalp.
Now give your scalp (or your friends) a good massage. Rub with your fingertips in a circular motion all over the scalp. Leave the treatment on for about 20 minutes.
Finish it off with a good shampoo and conditioner.
Easy right? Well trust me, it really is worth it.
Oh, I almost forgot, last but not least ‘the buildup’ problem. Hard water minerals, shampoos, conditioning masks, hair styling products and the environment can all cause build up to gather on your hair.
Build up can and does reek all sorts of havoc like making your hair dry, brittle, unmanageable, static-y, curl resistant, dull, heavy and probably other stuff I can’t think of right now. In other words it’s bad. But you can kick it to the curb and send it on its merry way with a very easy concoction. Now I warn you this is a tough one so brace yourself.
1/3 Cup Baking soda
4 Tbspns Water
Directions:
Mix together until it’s a paste. Then (starting with the ends) massage into your hair, it can be a little messy so be prepared. Leave it for 10-15 minutes then wash as usual.
I don’t colour my hair, so if you do colour yours always try a test piece first! I hope this works wonders for you as it does for me.

Well I have used all of these treatments at one time or another over the past few years. Have to say I am not a fan of the feel (although it is always nice to have someone else massage my head at the time) but the end results are wonderful.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Return to “Recipe sharing at the Kitchen Bench”