Milk Supplies

Looking for cheese, yogurt, butter, ice-cream and all things dairy? Here's where recipes are posted for making dairy products.
Forum rules
Recipes are posted by individual people, some use pasteurised milk some not. This is entirely up to the individual to decide if they wish to pasteurise their milk prior to cheesemaking or making other dairy product. This forum does not make any recommendations in regard to pasteurisation of milk.
Max

Milk Supplies

Postby Max » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Greetings:
I'm doing some basic desk research (reading books, articles and the like) on cheese making before taking the plunge. It occurs to me if you're not a dairy farmer, or perhaps have a neighbour who is, the cost of the basic raw ingredient "milk" makes home made cheese a relatively expensive product - around $25 or more per Kg.
Any comment: is the home produced product using store bought milk worth it?
Any thoughts on how/where one could acquire farm gate milk around the Gold Coast?

I look forward to your comments and thoughts with interest.

Many thanks.

Roy

Shadowgirlau

Re: Milk Supplies

Postby Shadowgirlau » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:06 am

Sorry Roy, I live on the West Coast so am no help to you at all. Goodluck.

Kathleen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

DomAnsell

Postby DomAnsell » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:18 pm

I too am having the same problem. I live kinda in brisbane city, an really wanna make my own chesses. But it is so expensive to buy the milk. If you find a way to resolve this problem, please let me know too.

Thus far I have threatened to approach the first dairy farmer I find and offer to sponsor his cow for a share in her milk.... not sure if this is possible or even likely. But I think my husband is going to keep a close eye on me if I get to go to the ekka. :D

Hayhay

Postby Hayhay » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:38 pm

Sorry I'm not up gold coast!

Yes making your own cheese at home is better with shop bought milk than buying cheese from the shop.

Making it with fresh farm milk it is absolutely superb.

I've FINALLY got myself a source of fresh milk and it is so good! Considering farmers are getting paid about 23cents a litre.....is there any dairy farms around you could visit and ask if they'd be willing to sell you some milk? Do you know a friend who knows someone who has a dairy farm? We had a long hunt around but finally its worked out.

And my next batch of feta will cost only $4; instead of the previous $25!

Return to “Cheese and Dairy Recipes”