Cherry tomato overload!

All things preserving - canning, water bath (vacola), freezing, drying your harvest. We discuss all methods and the pros and cons, be nice to each other, please we all have our ways of preserving.
vintagerose

Cherry tomato overload!

Postby vintagerose » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:45 am

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for me to use up my 100's of cherry and mini roma tomato's. I have picked so many and there's still more to come!

I wanted to make some pasta sauce and maybe some relish. Is it possible to use these tomato's for this?

Any other ideas would great!

Thanks.

Melissa

BJTJ

Re: Cherry tomato overload!

Postby BJTJ » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi Mellisa
one of the things I do with excessive tomatoes is to just wash and freeze in ziplock bags. When I need them I just defrost and put through the mouli or just put them straight into the slow cooker or whatever the meal. It is a great way for using them up in winter in stews, casseroles etc when you haven't got them in the garden.
Bel

northwest1

Postby northwest1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi Melissa,
I use up tomatoes by cooking them up with capsicum and onion. The quantities are: 1 kilo tomatoes, one onion, and half a capsicum, all chopped. Put them all in a saucepan with some salt and about a teaspoon of sugar. Bring to the boil, stirring, and then simmer uncovered until only about a third of the liquid remains. Either freeze in 1 cup quantities, or pour into sterilised jars and then water process for ten minutes. Great on mashed potatoes, on steak, as a side with barbecues.... :)

vintagerose

Postby vintagerose » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:25 am

Thanks for these great idea's for my tomatoes. This is my first year growing tomatoes so when the cherry ones self seeded I just let them go. They really go crazy!

Thanks again! I will be out picking more today!

Mel :D

Return to “Preserving and Canning in Australia”