Figs

All things preserving - canning, water bath (vacola), freezing, drying your harvest. We discuss all methods and the pros and cons, be nice to each other, please we all have our ways of preserving.
BJTJ

Figs

Postby BJTJ » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:27 pm

We have heaps of figs at the moment but would like to freeze them for jam making later when I have time. Do you think freezing them would make much difference. I froze our blackberries and then made jam together with strawberrys and that worked out great. Just have never had so many figs before. I also want to dry some but just wont have time for a week or so. Bel

Shadowgirlau

Re: Figs

Postby Shadowgirlau » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:28 pm

Bel, I partly prepare the figs (to the stage where I am ready to bring to a boil) cool then freeze with out any problems at all so you should be fine.

I like to make my jams in winter mainly at the moment because of our limited living/cooking area and because I don't want to heat it up with all that cooking.

Have just harvested a bucket of satsuma plums and done this very thing and I also have bags /bags of berries stored in the freezer for winter processing.

Kathleen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Return to “Preserving and Canning in Australia”