Preparing the garden for spring is primal

Get down and dirty growing your food...
Shadowgirlau

Preparing the garden for spring is primal

Postby Shadowgirlau » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi friends,
As we enter the last month of winter and race towards spring I am reminded of an article I read some years ago about how much we need to re connect, affirm or renew our primal urges to 'get down and dirty' in the garden. Gardening isn't just about soil, but is about new life.

The jonquils have been blooming up a trail in my garden these past few weeks, the kangaroo paws are starting to reach for the sky, new leaves are beginning to sprout on my deciduous trees, fruit trees are beginning to bloom, the birds in the garden are the brightest of blue or red and life abounds every where.

As spring approaches there are a few things we could be doing around the yard.
July and August are the months I usually prune my roses. I recently pruned all our roses then followed this up with a good spray of eco rose fungicide adding a bit of white oil also to help reduce black spot and powdery mildew. I will follow this up at the end of August with a spray of lime sulphur.
All our deciduous fruit trees that required pruning have been attended too.
Citrus trees have all been sprayed with a weak solution of white oil.
I still have a few winter vegetables in the garden so I will continue to fertilize these fortnightly while they're growing.
We've sprayed our fruit trees recently as soon as I noticed that the buds were beginning to swell (about a week later my peach tree started breaking into flower) for both leaf curl and brown rot.
I plan on planting some new rhubarb crowns as well as raspberry canes and hope to add to my flower gardens too.
We have found that we can still experience frosts right into September so I no longer rush to cut back some of the plants in my garden where I once would have done so as soon we noticed the days becoming warmer and longer.
Clean paths and garden furniture in the next few weeks so your ready for summer entertaining.
It wont be long now and you'll be wanting to plant your seed potatoes so have you prepared a bed or area to do this when the time comes?

I'm sure there is much more that I do to prepare myself for spring but right now it escapes me. What are you doing in your own garden to prepare for the new season?

Cheers
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Return to “Aussie Gardening - Growing your own food”