A salad Bar for the Girls

Get down and dirty growing your food...
Shadowgirlau

A salad Bar for the Girls

Postby Shadowgirlau » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:36 pm

Okay, while I was busy inside most of the day my DH was busy over in his shed building me first a climbing ladder for the centre of my new mixed garden bed then once completed having ascertained that I wanted a salad bar for the girls (read here my chickens) he set about making this a reality for me.
The girls have practically decimated the orchard to the point the where there had been grass/weeds/ sand and such there is now naught but gravel and black sand (at least it is now black). They were scratching so much that we had to surround the fruit trees with large rocks then fill the inside of these with smaller ones to deter the chickens from scratching up their roots. Doing this worked a treat but no matter what I do we have so far not managed to re sow the ground in this area. As a result I thought it would be a good idea to make them a salad bar because they require a varied diet which includes access to fresh greens.

DH has built me a box about 4 feet x 2 feet and about 6 inches deep, maybe a little more I am not sure. He has made a top to this which sits a little higher and closes with a catch to keep it shut. The lid is covered with some aviary wire. This box will be filled with a good mix of compost and potting mix then planted out with various herbs and eventually will be positioned in the chicken run so the girls can peck at it as they desire. Now I have no idea if this is going to work out as I hope it will so I'll just have to let you know in a few months how this little experiment has panned out. This may be just the thing to fulfill their immediate needs until we can build the new run for them and I've resown the old one? time will tell.

Cheers
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Return to “Aussie Gardening - Growing your own food”